Lazzaroni Maraschino is one of the oldest liqueurs produced by Lazzaroni. In the company archive recipes and labels date back to 1860.
It is a clear, relatively dry liqueur made from the infusion of marasca cherries and their crushed pits, which give the liquid a slightly bitter almond flavor.
Maraschino is largely appreciated as a liqueur and it is also widely used in pastry
- FIRST PRODUCED: 1900
- INGREDIENTS: Water, refined European beet sugar, alcohol distilled from molasses, distilled Marasca cherries, and flavors.
- USE: It’s used primarily in the preparation of some sweets, for example, to make the syrup of sponge cake, in fruit salads and fruit cakes.
Reviews – 97 Points – International Review of Spirits – Platinum Medal – Superlative
“Copper color. Attractive complex aromas of cherry bubblegum and cordial, circus peanut, floral jasmine tea, and delicate spices with a satiny, bright, moderately sweet medium-to-full body and a warming, involved, medium-length citrus cream, pepper, orange blossom honey, and pistachio brittle finish. A delicious and elegant fruit liqueur.”
The production of “maraschino liqueur” began in Zara, in the Venetian Dalmatia, in the Middle Ages. The oldest recipe we have is dating back to the sixteenth century, it must have been made by pharmacists at a Dominican monastery in the city. The Marasca is a small dark cherry with a bitter taste and dry pulp. Maraschino Lazzaroni, clear and relatively dry, is made from Marasca Cherries, including the crushed pits which give the liquor a subtle bitter almond flavor. Other essential oils of lemon and orange, vanilla, and neroli are added to make the product homogeneous and with a bouquet full lingering smell of cherry and the typical sweet taste of the ripe fruit.
AMARETTO LAZZARONI 1851 & FAMILY LAZZARONI HISTORY
Paolo Lazzaroni & Figli SpA is an Italian food company, founded in Monza in 1869, by Paolo Lazzaroni and his sons Pietro and Luigi.
Paolo Lazzaroni & Figli is one of the two food companies that derive from the Lazzaroni family: it was founded in Monza in 1869, by Paolo Lazzaroni and his sons Pietro and Luigi.
Paolo was the second son of Carlo Lazzaroni (1774-1835), who had started a confectionery production business in Saronno, which was then carried on by his other son Davide (whose sons later founded D. Lazzaroni & C. ).
Paolo had moved to Monza in 1852 (or according to others in 1855 ), initially creating a grocery store and then founding the company, which bought and sold spices, coffee, cured meats, chocolate, sweets, candied fruit, and liqueurs. According to tradition, the recipe for the amaretto liqueur which is sold under the brand “Amaretto Lazzaroni 1851” belongs to this era.
In 1927 the two companies of the Lazzaroni family merged into a single structure, maintaining the two biscuits and liqueurs branches. In 1984 the biscuit branch (precisely D. Lazzaroni & C. ) was sold to the American multinational Campbell’s, while Paolo Lazzaroni & Figli remained in the hands of Paolo Lazzaroni of the same name, who subsequently decided to also undertake confectionery production, creating the “Chiostro di Saronno” brand.
Starting from 2004, Paolo Lazzaroni & Figli was the subject of a long legal battle started by D. Lazzaroni & C., as soon as it began producing amaretti biscuits in Saronno (for which D. Lazzaroni & C. holds the registered trademark ” Amaretti di Saronno “). At a certain point, in 2009, the affair also saw the temporary seizure of Paolo Lazzaroni & Figli’s products, but it finally ended in 2013 with acquittal.